Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Reflective Summative Statement



            Through my research on Genevieve Gauckler I have learned a lot about current art and inspiration for art. There are so many things in a person’s life that they can experience that will influence them as a person and what they create in the way of art.
            In this project I certainly learned about Gauckler and her art but I learned more about current day art as a whole. Certain aspects, like street art, I was very drawn to. I got to take a direction that interested me and gave me knowledge and inspiration to go and create my own art.
Gauckler has done both advertising and works that are simply works of art. There are many possibilities and directions a graphic designer can go with their art.
In the last posts I made I saw a style I am very interested in and would like to learn more about. The thing about this project is that it has opened me up to the concept of just researching anything that interests me for just that reason; it interests me.
That is a great way to become knowledgeable in the world and your art.
            Gauckler lives and works in Paris. The city in which one lives can certainly have an impact on the works created. Different cities are known for different things, have different ways of life, and unique aspects, as well as many opportunities. Depending on what you surround yourself with your art can reflect your surroundings.
            Gauckler has a unique, simple, colorful, vibrant, humerous, and somewhat childish charm to her work. As a graphic designer she has made her own style and molded it to a point where she has become successful and known for her style and her work. Processes like this project can give one insight to themselves in relation to art and the world. Those kinds of things shape them as a person and an artist. I have a strong interest in music, art, and design. This assignment showed me a little more what type of art grabs my attention, and helped me determine what direction I would like to go, and what I would like to do with art, more so than I knew before this project.
            The world around us also grabs our attention more in certain areas than others. For example, with this project I was very drawn to cities and their landscapes for a portion of this blog. Places with as much going on, as big cities especially have no end of material to inspire an artist.
            Gauckler did a whole art show on food. Food is something we encounter everyday and its most common occurrence in art is in bowls or baskets for still lives. It is very interesting to see an artist take a unique direction with art like Gauckler did creating an entire show of graphic design art centered on food.
            Art is everywhere and inspiration is everywhere. Just as Gauckler surely has been inspired countless times by all kinds of things she has experienced in her life so will you and so will I as an artist. These things not only give us something to make art about but give meaning to our art as well. Art connects with the people who view it. The world connects with the artists who then are inspired to create something that connects with the world. Art represents ideas and it can be a very fun and exciting thing when the artist is inspired to create something that means something to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment